Job Vacancy – Mechanical Design Engineer
February 13, 2024
Mechan Limited are industry leaders in the design, manufacture, and delivery of lifting and handling equipment for rail depots and workshops. By combining innovative ideas, technical excellence, and traditional engineering skills, we have earned a reputation for quality, safety and reliability that has seen our products installed in some of the world’s most advanced maintenance facilities.
In March 2017, we began a new chapter in Mechan’s history, joining French group, CIM – one of the rail industry’s most ambitious full-service suppliers. Our extensive range of lifting and handling equipment is now part of a portfolio of products and services designed specifically to meet the needs of modern depots and track maintenance teams. CIM operates in more than 120 countries worldwide, across all continents, working for many of the main rail operators.
Due to business growth, we are looking to enhance our engineering team by hiring Mechanical design engineers on a permanent basis.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the applicant must be a strong team player with the competency and enthusiasm to innovate and deliver designs that are commensurate with that of a market leading engineering company.
In return Mechan offers the following package:
- Salary of £30,000 – £55,000 (Dependant on experience) – 37.5hrs/wk
- Annual leave – 24 days, increasing to max. 26 days (plus statutory bank holidays).
- Company profit share bonus scheme
- Workplace pension
- Company healthcare scheme
- Design and develop innovative engineering solutions for bespoke lifting and handling equipment projects in railway depots and workshops.
- Compile technical files, calculations, and supporting documentation to demonstrate compliance with applicable standards.
- Prepare detailed drawings, BOM’s, work instructions, and operation & maintenance manuals.
- Write technical specification for suppliers.
- Manage project delivery from initial concept to installation, collaborating with a multidisciplinary team.
- Cultivate strong relationships with clients and stakeholders, maintaining ongoing positive communications.
- Travel to railway depots and construction sites for meetings, surveys, installations, and acceptance testing.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE
- Degree qualified in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- Demonstrable experience in the design and installation of lifting equipment and machinery.
- Proficient with SolidWorks 3D modelling software, including FEA simulation.
- Experience in project management
- Understand the principles of engineering compliance and risk management.
- Confident command of written and spoken English for report writing and technical presentations.
- Full UK driver’s license
- Experience within the railway industry
- Experience of fabrication design
- Understanding of machine control systems and Programmable Logic Controllers
- Chartered engineer status with a recognised professional institution.
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.